- Contact Us
- Studio phone: 319-234-1057
- Email: Email Studio
Wed, November 13, 2013
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Make It Happen
Make It Happen is a 1967 album by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles. It featured ballads such as the hit singles "The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage" and "More Love", as well as the up-tempo "The Tears of a Clown" co-written by Stevie Wonder and his producer Hank Cosby.
Three years after the album's release, "The Tears of a Clown" was issued as a single, and charted at #1 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and UK Singles Chart. As a result, Make It Happen was reissued as The Tears of a Clown in 1970.
Stevie Wonder was a contributing writer on 3 of the album's songs, the aforementioned "The Tears of a Clown", "After You Put Back the Pieces (I'll Still Have a Broken Heart)", and "My Love Is Your Love (Forever)". Holland-Dozier-Holland contributed the delightful good-times dance song "It's a Good Feeling". Smokey's fellow Miracles Warren "Pete" Moore and Marv Tarplin collaborated with him on the songs "You Must Be Love" (a popular regional hit tune), and "The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage" (a Top 20 Hit) respectively, and all of The Miracles (except Claudette) co-wrote the up-tempo rocker "Dancing's Alright". The album also features a rendition of their good friends, Little Anthony & The Imperials' 1964 Top 20 smash, "I'm on the Outside (Looking In)"
Critics at Allmusic at the time loved the album, giving it 4-1/2 out of five stars, calling it "The most underrated Miracles LP of the '60s",and that, in addition to album's 3 hits, it also had "featured a spate of great songs, including three or four (others) that really should've been hits".
1. "The Soulful Shack" (Smokey Robinson)
2. "The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage" (Robinson, Marvin Tarplin)
3. "My Love for You" (Clarence Paul, Morris Broadnax)
4. "I'm on the Outside (Looking In)" (Bob Weinstein, Teddy Randazzo)
5. "Don't Think It's Me" (Robinson)
6. "My Love Is Your Love (Forever)" (Ivy Jo Hunter, Stevie Wonder)
1. "More Love" (Robinson)
2. "After You Put Back the Pieces (I'll Still Have a Broken Heart)" (Paul, Broadnax, Wonder)
3. "It's a Good Feeling" (Holland-Dozier-Holland)
4. "You Must Be Love" (Robinson, Warren Moore)
5. "Dancing's Alright" (Robinson, Tarplin, Moore, Robert Rogers, Ronald White)
6. "The Tears of a Clown" (Robinson, Wonder, Henry Cosby)